Kindness

October 05, 2015


I was driving home with my roommate Jill and we passed a sign that said "National Kindness Day October 5th"... We both laughed.

"Shouldn't that be everyday?"
"Hey America, here's a day to be kind!"

So whats the point of this day? To do random acts of kindness and feel good about yourself?

In the Bible it talks about kindness and how its a way of being more than a way of doing.

I have a friend who is way to kind to me and shows me so much grace and mercy. She loves listening to my dreams and she always pushes me towards Jesus. Her kindness to me mirrors the kindness in Christ. A friend that cares for me, serves me, listens to me and makes me feel pursued.

Being kind is more than just being nice. It's being gracious and expecting nothing out of return. Kindness has the power to transform. I've gone through relationships where the other person only cares about their inner being and if they perform kindness they feel the need to tell the world. But that's not what God calls us to do. We are commanded to be kind and compassionate to each other, and forgiving each other just has He has forgiven us, without boasting.

We all can't be kind all the time, but we can push ourselves to live in a kindness mindset.

So why do we talk bad about people? To build our egos?
Why do we hurt our close friends? Because we're selfish?
Why aren't we always walking in kindness? Because today has sucked?

All of that is dumb.

One thing I am always trying to do is be kind and deeply care for those around me, regardless of the choices they make. Sometimes I fail and I hate it, but I'm human. One thing I struggle with is that when a friend hurts me, I take it very seriously and I want to quickly move on. But how can I be kind if they don't even realize what they've done? What if I am kind but they don't notice the kindness I am showing them?

This is what I've learned- being kind is not a task, it requires us to abide in Christ and that with Gods grace, we can forgive and be kind. People notice when you act in love. People notice when you care about their wants and needs. People notice when you serve them.

So wherever you stand today on "National Kindness Day", can you think of someone that cares for you well? Have you showed them how much you appreciate their kindness? Have you performed kindness that is genuine and not for your own good?

I think kindness is SO powerful.

Lets walk in kindness, everyday.

Have a great week!

Regan


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts