New Year food

January 01, 2014



Happy New Year! It is officially 2014. Wow. I love the start of each new year. It's a great time to reflect on the past, move forward and set goals. Even though we can have "fresh starts" whenever we want, something about January 1st just makes it easier. To start off the New Year, I thought it would be fun to share some recipes!

I've been watching food network since I was in 2nd grade and I love to cook. When I come home from college, I feel like I can cook whatever I want because my sweet mother stocks me up with the ingredients I need. With this blog post, I've decided to share some of my recipes. These meals are so simple and only require a few ingredients. You won't feel heavy or gross after eating/ drinking it! I eyeball everything so I don't know the exact measurements. But these are some of my favorites and I hope you enjoy! 



So good. 

~ 4 to 5 avocados (I get them on sale)
~ Lime juice 
~ 1/3 cup of Red Onion
~  Roma Tomato
~ 3 tablespoons of Fresh Cilantro
~ Salt and Pepper to taste 
~ Corn chips (to dip!)

If you like spicy- I recommend adding a chopped jalapeño. 

I mash the avocados and the first thing I do is add a little salt and pepper, I then add a ton of lime juice. I always start off with a little and add more to taste. I like it with more lime because it reminds me of Chipotles guacamole. I then cut up the red onion finely about 1/3 cups worth (depends how many avocados you have). Then add chopped cilantro, about 3 tablespoons. Then I dice one roma tomato and voila!  I make this all the time. Even with two avocados for myself. I just balance out the other ingredients. 
                             
I've been drinking this smoothie every morning. It is very refreshing! Just make sure you eat something on the side with it. I normally eat an egg with whole wheat toast. I like to see what fresh fruits are in season or on sale and based off that, I'll buy certain frozen fruits. 

~ Fresh Pineapple 
~ Frozen Strawberries
~ Frozen Peaches
~ Spinach
~ 1/2 cranberry juice 1/2 water (to balance the sugar) 
~ Fat-free yogurt (I used strawberry or raspberry!)
~ Chia seeds for extra omega-3 and to reduce food cravings!



I pick and choose what I want more of. I try to use more of the fresh fruit and use the other frozen fruit as "ice cubes". I put a hand full of spinach and just a splash of juice! You can add water if its too thick! Enjoy! 





Why spend tons of money on caprese salad at a restaurant when it is so simple to make at home? This is probably one of my favorite things. It's so simple, very healthy and fresh tasting. There so many ways to prepare it. But here is a recipe I normally prepare.


~ Fresh Mozzarella 
~ Beef steak tomato or vine ripen tomatoes
~ Fresh basil
~ Extra virgin olive oil
~ Salt and Pepper to taste

I first wash the greens and tomatoes. That is very important especially because you aren't cooking it. I then slice the tomato and slice the mozzarella. I put one mozeralla slice per tomato slice, then add a basil leaf on top. I lightly drizzle the olive oil and then garnish with a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper. A few other alternatives is adding balsamic vinegar or a reduction to it to make it more sweet. Also, if you are on the go- using grape tomatoes, mozzarella balls, and basil and using the olive oil as a dressing makes a nice salad!





Whenever you are done in the kitchen, it is always nice to relax and wind down.
Tonight- It's latte night. 




Good luck! - Regan 





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts