FSU shooting

November 20, 2014


Thursday, November 20, 2014.

I was at my friends house celebrating one of my best friends 21st birthday. Celebrating her life and being thankful that she was born on this day.

I left to go home. Put on my sweat pants and big t-shirt, got in bed and was reading my book. And all of a sudden I hear probably 30+ cop cars/sirens, helicopters, and alarms outside my window. I was so confused with what was going on. I then get a text from one of my friends saying "there is a shooter in Strozier".

What.

My campus? The school I attend? The library I study at? No way.

A man, fully armed, came to FSU and shot at students at 12:30 am. The library was in complete chaos. I began to get texts from all my friends and roommates making sure everyone was safe. It seemed so surreal. I re-downloaded twitter just to see all that was being said. I couldn't believe it. The shooter was less than 100 feet away from one of my friends. Gosh. 

I was so thankful that my friends at the library found safety and were okay, but I was still super worried for the others. 

I woke up this morning still in shock, with so many texts and missed phone calls. Classes were canceled and FSU was letting us have a day of "togetherness." My friend Taylor texted me saying "I'm picking you up, what do you want from Starbucks?" I got in her car, and we drove to campus. A song called "We Won't Be Shaken" by Building 429 came on the radio. God's presence was so clear, it brought tears to both our eyes. It was crazy.

The chorus is this- 

Whatever will come our way
Through fire or pouring rain
We won't be shaken
No we won't be shaken
Whatever tomorrow brings
Together we'll rise and sing
That we won't be shaken


We headed over to Landis Green, which is a big green field in front of Strozier Library. Seeing yellow crime tape wrapped everywhere was insane. There, thousands of FSU students were praying, holding hands, hugging, singing, doing the war chant, and having a moment of silence. When we were done we headed back and I saw a woman police officer and I said "thanks for all that y'all do for us." She replied "of course."

We are so blessed to have such incredible people risking their lives to save ours. 



This whole situation is just a reminder that things aren't how they should be. This world is so messed up and so imperfect. Who in their right mind would want to do such a crime? No one knows. But there is one thing I do know, and that is that God is watching over us and He is with us always. We need to fix our eyes up above. 

He even says- "Peace be with you, and I am with you always." 

One Tribe. One Heartbeat. We won't be shaken. 


Regan

P.S- Tell someone you love them. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts